POWELL RIVER POLICE BASED VICTIM SERVICES provides victims, witnesses and their family members with professional, supportive, and timely assistance to help you cope with crime and trauma.
PBVS staff works together with the Powell River RCMP and we support and advocate for the rights of victims. Our services are free and confidential.
PBVS program services:
- helps you get the information that you might need from police investigations and the criminal justice system, as well as information on victim rights, trauma response and coping strategies.
- provides you with referrals to a wide range of community support services.
- offers crisis interventions and emotional support to the victims, witnesses and family members affected by police incidents involving crime or trauma.
- helps you fill out documents, create safety plans, apply and register for eligible programs such as Crime Victim Assistance Program, and connect with other services.
- provides court updates, will go with you to Crown Counsel meetings, court proceedings and in-person court orientations, and will help you with witness preparation and Victim Impact Statements and Restitution Forms.
- provides a Crisis Canine Therapy dog who works alongside Victim Service staff to offer support to victims, witnesses, and family members affected by crime and other traumatic incidents.
Powell River Police Victim Service staff respect the strengths and needs of the diverse communities we serve and strive to promote community wellness. We provide non-judgemental, compassionate and empathetic support services immediately after a crime or trauma and then ongoing follow up and assistance as required. We are not a counselling service, however if counselling is required, appropriate referral services will be offered to meet your needs.